In our last podcast episode, I shared the following:
2024 is the year to shift your perspective.
If you haven’t listened to that podcast episode, I highly recommend it. It will give you a fresh outlook for the year and context for everything else I will share in this blog post.
The specific shift I referenced was the ability to see that opportunities are greater than obstacles. 2 Kings 6 clearly shows what this looks like in real-time.
Quick backstory for you. Verses 8-22 feature a prophet, Elisha, and his servant. The servant was overcome by the obstacles he saw, but God used Elisha to shift his perspective. Observe what happened.
Early the next morning Elisha’s servant got up, went out of the house, and saw the Syrian troops with their horses and chariots surrounding the town. He went back to Elisha and exclaimed, “We are doomed, sir! What shall we do?”
“Don’t be afraid,” Elisha answered. “We have more on our side than they have on theirs.” Then he prayed, “O Lord, open his eyes and let him see!” The Lord answered his prayer, and Elisha’s servant looked up and saw the hillside covered with horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha (2 Kings 6:15-17 GNT).
The same grace given to Elisha’s servant is available to you this year! Now, let’s unpack the pattern to receive it.
- Reflection: The servant’s transformation began with reflection. He was honest about his current experiences, telling Elisha they were doomed, in his opinion.
- Revelation: Elisha told him not to be afraid because he knew the odds were favorable. In other words, Elisha awakened his servant to the opportunity embedded in the obstacle.
- Receive: Elisha prayed and asked God to give his servant what he didn’t have. God listened to Elisha, and the servant received the ability to see beyond what he had seen.
Now that we have the pattern, here are your instructions.
- Reflection: What obstacle(s) do you currently see for 2024? What have you concluded about it or them?
- Revelation: What is God’s alternative view of what you’re experiencing? Find Scriptures that offer a different perspective than you have been subscribed to.
- Receive: Pray and ask God to receive the grace to view the obstacles through the lens of the Scripture(s) that was/were revealed to you.
I’m excited to see where your journey goes from here. If you need assistance with any part of this process, reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d love to partner with Holy Spirit and help facilitate your shift in perspective in 2024.